2017 Events & Training:
2nd June 2017
On behalf of everyone in our group, we’d like to thank Yvonne for all her work in IWP and wish her the very best in her new position. We’d also like to welcome Aine and Adrien to our team this week!
2nd May 2017
Thanks to John Casey and Tim & Asta Reddin, who facilitated our last Waterford field trip… Standing L-R. Tom Hickey Stradbally, John Casey Teagasc, David Connors Kilmacthomas, Gerry Ryan Kilmacthomas, Alex Kelly IWP, Pat Doyle Harvester, Tom Power Kilmacthomas, Hal Chavasse Cappoquin, Pat Cummins Newtown, Charles Chavesse Cappoquin, Pat Condon Cappagh, Ursula Connors Kilrossanty, Alasdair Dunne IWP, Mairead Phelan Kilmacow, Martin Dunphy Kill, Declan Barron Mellerary, Mossy Fitzgerald Dunmore, front Ellen Parkinson Tramore. (photo courtesy of Josephine Hickey)
22nd February 2017
L-R Anthony Browne, chairman Irish Wood Producers; Tom Hickey, Secretary, Waterford Forest Owners and John Casey,Teagasc, at the recent AGM of the Waterford Group. (photo courtesy Josephine Hickey).
Ballymurn, 17th February 2017
Chipping in Ballymurn followed by the Waterford forest owners group AGM in dungarvan with presentations from John Casey, Teagasc and Alasdair Dunnet, IWP
2nd January 2017
First delivery of wood chip in 2017-happy new year everyone!
2016 Events & Training:
South East Forestry Expo for forest owners – 16th June, 6-8
Irish Wood Producers organised a Forestry Expo on Thursday evening, 16th June in Mullinavat Community Centre, Kilkenny. The expo was followed by an address from Andrew Doyle, Minister of State for Food, Forestry and Horticulture, before the group’s AGM and refreshments.
The event was to encourage forest owners to meet
statutory bodies, supporting agencies, researchers, forestry professionals and contractors working with the group. Participating organisations included: Teagasc, the Forest Service, WIT, UCD, the SIMWOOD project, IFA Farm Forestry, Casey Technology, Kilkenny Leader Partnership and contractors. Staff and producer group members were also on hand to discuss planting, management, harvesting, timber sales and to address site specific queries.
Sawmill – 7th April, 11 am
We visited Murray’s sawmill in Ballon, Co. Carlow, where Joe Murray and John Guiry discussed timber prices and gave us a tour of the facility, where construction timber is kiln-dried, processed and graded on site.
IWP on tour – July / August
Come and talk to members at the following shows:
· Bannow & Rathangan Show, Co. Wexford – 14th July 2016
· Dungarvan Show, Co. Waterford – 25th August 2016
· Piltown Show, Co. Kilkenny – 27th August 2016
Agroforestry – 20th October, 2 pm
William Considine invites us to see how he has applied agroforestry principles to the management of his farm: introducing broadleaves on the perimeter, planting blocks between fields, planting new hedges and traditional orchards. William will also discuss supporting schemes and the European Agroforestry Federation.
Meet at Scaville Lodge, Duncormick, Co. Wexford (52°13’48.4″N 6°39’12.3″W)
Cluster site visits – ongoing
As in previous years, members will be notified of local site visits to see harvesting, shaping, chipping and other forestry activities, by text and details will also be posted on the website / Facebook page.
Chainsaw courses – Further CS 30 & 31 courses are being organised soon. Please register your interest with Yvonne at: email@example.com or 085-1474000 (Wed & Thurs only)
2015 Events & Training:
- WIT Harvesting & Bioenergy Demonstration- 22nd April 2015
- Workshop on wood mobilisation: role of forest cooperatives – 6th May 2015
- Timber 2015 Irish Forestry, Woodland & Bio Energy Show – 9th & 10th May 2015
- Harvesting Eucalyptus for wood fuel production- 21st May 2015
- Forest Measurement & Assessment Following Thinning – 10th June 2015
- Information Night & AGM – 18th June 2015
- CS30 & CS31 Chainsaw Course (Newbawn, Co. Wexford) – 29th June – 3rd July 2015
- Teagasc Talking Timber Event (Tullow, Co. Carlow) – 15th September 2015
- Broadleaf Thinning Demonstration (Stradbally, Co. Waterford) – 17th September 2015
- Teagasc Conifer Thinning Event (Kilbrin, Co. Cork) – 13th October 2015
- Broadleaf Thinning Demonstration (Mullinavat, Co. Kilkenny) – 15th October 2015
- Forest Owner Groups Workshop – Date and Location to be confirmed.
Events we’ve attended in 2014:
- Teagasc Forestry Advisory Clinic – 21st January 2014
- Laois Farm Forestry Group information day – 21st March 2014
- Bio Energy Conference – 9th April 2014
- Teagasc, Coilte & the DAFM – Storm Damaged Forest Demo – 8th April 2014
- Creane & Creane Business & Community Awards – 11th April 2014
- Harvesting Demonstration – 30th April 2014
- UCC Workshop- Deer in Forestry – 7th May 2014
- Visit to Corbett’s Farm Broadleaf Plantation- 14th May 2014
- Irish Wood Producers Launch, Woodstock – July 10th 2014
- Talking Timber Event, Kildalton – 26th August 2014
- IFA & Treemetrics Forest Assessor – 27th August 2014 Ballyfin, 18th September 2014 Mullinavat
- Teagasc COFORD & Forestry Service Demonstration Broadleaves Thinning – 16th October 2014
- SIMWOOD Regional Learning Lab – 30th October 2014
- Business Diversification Training Course – Wexford Local Development and Ennis Consulting
- Forestry Certification Course – Waterford Institute of Technology
- Chainsaw CS30 & CS31 – Tree Care Ireland and IFA Farm Business Skillnet
- Timber Measurement – Waterford Institute of Technology and the BioEnergy Association
- Safety Information Day – With contributions from Teagasc, Tree Care Ireland, Worrell Harvesting, the Health & Safety Authority and FBD. Safety Information Day Invitation.
- Forestry Measurement – Frances McHugh, Teagasc
- Energy Crop Management – Teagasc, Oakpark and IFA Farm Business Skillnet